SOMers - Stratomatic Baseball

Members Login
Username 
 
Password 
    Remember Me  
Post Info TOPIC: The Classic TV Zone
1 2 37  >  Last»  | Page of 7  sorted by


VP of Operations

Status: Offline
Posts: 16191
Date: Feb 9, 2014
The Classic TV Zone
Permalink  
 


Since we had a nice little vintage TV discussion going (in the middle of rolls' 1927 thread, unfortunately...), I thought we could start an official thread dedicated to the great shows of Yesteryear.

What are some of your faves?

I'm an old COMBAT! fan, myself.  Vic Morrow, Rick Jason, and a classic cast of '60's-era guest stars, including Warren Spahn!



__________________

"No cell, no car, no credit cards, he's sixty-plus and gray...
Just sitting in his basement, with a Strat game underway."



Manager

Status: Offline
Posts: 9772
Date: Feb 9, 2014
Permalink  
 

I'm a Perry Mason fan.

__________________

I wanted to play more SOM so I retired.

 



VP of Operations

Status: Offline
Posts: 16191
Date: Feb 9, 2014
Permalink  
 

stratfan70 wrote:

I'm a Perry Mason fan.


If Perry Mason had been on the case in 1920, Joe Jackson would be in the Hall of Fame today. biggrin



__________________

"No cell, no car, no credit cards, he's sixty-plus and gray...
Just sitting in his basement, with a Strat game underway."



Luxury Box Season Ticket Holder

Status: Offline
Posts: 806
Date: Feb 9, 2014
Permalink  
 

Combat, The Rifleman, Gunsmoke, The Twilight Zone, Mr. Ed, Sanford and Son.

 



__________________

I'd wake up at night with the smell of the ball park in my nose, the cool of the grass on my feet...The Thrill of the Grass...Heck, I'd play for free!



Third Base Coach

Status: Offline
Posts: 6298
Date: Feb 9, 2014
Permalink  
 

scorpio rising 2 wrote:

Combat, The Rifleman, Gunsmoke, The Twilight Zone, Mr. Ed, Sanford and Son.

 


 SR2, great to see you leaving a comment again.  You have been in my thoughts.  Sanford and Son, what a great show.  Loved the one liners between Fred Sanford and Aunt Esther.



__________________

Baseball ... this field, this game ... It is part of our past.  It reminds us all of what once was good -- and could be again.



VP of Operations

Status: Offline
Posts: 16191
Date: Feb 9, 2014
Permalink  
 

scorpio rising 2 wrote:

Combat, The Rifleman, Gunsmoke, The Twilight Zone, Mr. Ed, Sanford and Son.

 


Nice to see you join in again.

Ditto The Twilight Zone and Sanford & Son (and COMBAT!, of course).

I always type "COMBAT!" like that (as much like it appears on the screen as possible).  It has always been my absolute fave.

Morrow was so good and well-respected, he was able to get big screen stars like Lee Marvin and James Coburn to work with him.

Did you know that Robert Altman produced and directed much of the first season?  And Morrow directed a half-dozen episodes, including some of the show's best.

I could also go for some of the original Outer Limits.  I also enjoyed Rawhide, especially the first season or two.  I liked the ongoing story, as they drove the herd.



__________________

"No cell, no car, no credit cards, he's sixty-plus and gray...
Just sitting in his basement, with a Strat game underway."



Third Base Coach

Status: Offline
Posts: 5563
Date: Feb 10, 2014
Permalink  
 

All in the Family , Lone Ranger , Cisco Kid , Lost in Space . I like those old 50's-60's sci-fi movies too .... the Godzilla's and all those Hammer Horror movies , with Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee

__________________

Go Bucs !!!

No-hitters- Ray Culp , Freddy Garcia , Phil Ortega , Scott Kazmir , Needle Nose Wright , A.J. Griffin , Carlos Torres , Stan Bahnsen , Mario Soto

Perfect games - Jamie Moyer , J. R. Richard , Sandy Koufax



VP of Operations

Status: Offline
Posts: 16191
Date: Feb 10, 2014
Permalink  
 

stargell8 wrote:

All in the Family , Lone Ranger , Cisco Kid , Lost in Space . I like those old 50's-60's sci-fi movies too .... the Godzilla's and all those Hammer Horror movies , with Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee


"Danger, Will Robinson!"

I actually liked much of the first season, which was a little more serious in tone.  I seem to recall reading somewhere that Guy Williams was very disappointed when Jonathon Harris managed to grab the most prominent role over time (along with Billy Mumy).

The Irwin Allen shows (Lost in Space, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, Time Tunnel, Land of the Giants) had some nice effects work when they first came out, then fizzled.

But I have always loved the designs of original Jupiter II, the robot, and chariot, the Seaview.

All in the Family is a certified classic.  I never saw much of the Lone Ranger or Cisco Kid.

Hammer did put out some great horror flicks.  I liked their take on Dracula a little more than their ressurections of the other famous monsters.  Curse of the Werewolf, with Oliver Reed, was nicely done.

One thing that was really tough to overcome was having to create their own interpretations of such well-known images, since the Universal makeups were, of course, all copywrited. 

Did you ever see one of the later Dracula films, Legend of the Seven Golden Vampires (1974)?  Dracula (well beyond the Christopher Lee days) goes to China and Van Helsing (Peter Cushing, as always) chases him there.  It's a cool mix of vampires and kung-fu, if you can believe that.

Make sure you see a full-length version, and not one that's been cut to ribbons.  It's actually on YouTube, in its entirety.

I coulkd go on and on about the '50's and '60's sci-fi craze.  That stuff is like catnip.



__________________

"No cell, no car, no credit cards, he's sixty-plus and gray...
Just sitting in his basement, with a Strat game underway."



Third Base Coach

Status: Offline
Posts: 5563
Date: Feb 10, 2014
Permalink  
 

seajaw wrote:
stargell8 wrote:

All in the Family , Lone Ranger , Cisco Kid , Lost in Space . I like those old 50's-60's sci-fi movies too .... the Godzilla's and all those Hammer Horror movies , with Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee


"Danger, Will Robinson!"

I actually liked much of the first season, which was a little more serious in tone.  I seem to recall reading somewhere that Guy Williams was very disappointed when Jonathon Harris managed to grab the most prominent role over time (along with Billy Mumy).

The Irwin Allen shows (Lost in Space, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, Time Tunnel, Land of the Giants) had some nice effects work when they first came out, then fizzled.

But I have always loved the designs of original Jupiter II, the robot, and chariot, the Seaview.

All in the Family is a certified classic.  I never saw much of the Lone Ranger or Cisco Kid.

Hammer did put out some great horror flicks.  I liked their take on Dracula a little more than their ressurections of the other famous monsters.  Curse of the Werewolf, with Oliver Reed, was nicely done.

One thing that was really tough to overcome was having to create their own interpretations of such well-known images, since the Universal makeups were, of course, all copywrited. 

Did you ever see one of the later Dracula films, Legend of the Seven Golden Vampires (1974)?  Dracula (well beyond the Christopher Lee days) goes to China and Van Helsing (Peter Cushing, as always) chases him there.  It's a cool mix of vampires and kung-fu, if you can believe that.

Make sure you see a full-length version, and not one that's been cut to ribbons.  It's actually on YouTube, in its entirety.

I coulkd go on and on about the '50's and '60's sci-fi craze.  That stuff is like catnip.


 I am sure I have , growing up we had the Son of Svengoolie that showed all those on Saturday afternoons. Dracula vs. Billy the Kid  was another one I remember .

 

 Yongary , Varan , Gorgo were some more Giant monsters like Godzilla . Any of those old Toho movies were good .



__________________

Go Bucs !!!

No-hitters- Ray Culp , Freddy Garcia , Phil Ortega , Scott Kazmir , Needle Nose Wright , A.J. Griffin , Carlos Torres , Stan Bahnsen , Mario Soto

Perfect games - Jamie Moyer , J. R. Richard , Sandy Koufax



Season Ticket Holder - Lower Deck

Status: Offline
Posts: 260
Date: Feb 10, 2014
Permalink  
 

The Twilight Zone is far and away my favorite classic TV show, the series revivals in the 1980s and early 2000s were good too. Night Gallery (another product of the genius Rod Serling) is also up there on my list. I also recently discovered another show similar to The Twilight Zone, that was on the air about the same time; One Step Beyond. The show seemed to be a bit more geared towards the supernatural and less towards sci-fi, but the cool thing about it is the stories are based off of true events. I actually picked up a 4 disk set with 50 episodes at Walmart for $5. If you like TLZ you’ll probably enjoy this series too.

As for those “old cheesy horror movies”, as my friends and I used to call them, I love them. They were a staple of my TV viewing during my summers as a teenager. We had a new UHF TV station start up when I was about 10, and during those first five or six years the station was on the air they would show old movies from about 8pm until 4am and there would almost always be a horror or sci-fi flick every night after midnight. I especially got a kick out of the ones that were clearly dubbed into English.

I also have to give a shout out to I Love Lucy. She was a mainstay the summer before I started high school. The basic routine was get up, watch I Love Lucy while munching down Frosted Flakes for breakfast, then down to the park to play ball. Great times!



__________________


VP of Operations

Status: Offline
Posts: 16191
Date: Feb 10, 2014
Permalink  
 

stargell8 wrote:
seajaw wrote:
stargell8 wrote:

All in the Family , Lone Ranger , Cisco Kid , Lost in Space . I like those old 50's-60's sci-fi movies too .... the Godzilla's and all those Hammer Horror movies , with Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee


"Danger, Will Robinson!"

I actually liked much of the first season, which was a little more serious in tone.  I seem to recall reading somewhere that Guy Williams was very disappointed when Jonathon Harris managed to grab the most prominent role over time (along with Billy Mumy).

The Irwin Allen shows (Lost in Space, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, Time Tunnel, Land of the Giants) had some nice effects work when they first came out, then fizzled.

But I have always loved the designs of original Jupiter II, the robot, and chariot, the Seaview.

All in the Family is a certified classic.  I never saw much of the Lone Ranger or Cisco Kid.

Hammer did put out some great horror flicks.  I liked their take on Dracula a little more than their ressurections of the other famous monsters.  Curse of the Werewolf, with Oliver Reed, was nicely done.

One thing that was really tough to overcome was having to create their own interpretations of such well-known images, since the Universal makeups were, of course, all copywrited. 

Did you ever see one of the later Dracula films, Legend of the Seven Golden Vampires (1974)?  Dracula (well beyond the Christopher Lee days) goes to China and Van Helsing (Peter Cushing, as always) chases him there.  It's a cool mix of vampires and kung-fu, if you can believe that.

Make sure you see a full-length version, and not one that's been cut to ribbons.  It's actually on YouTube, in its entirety.

I coulkd go on and on about the '50's and '60's sci-fi craze.  That stuff is like catnip.


 I am sure I have , growing up we had the Son of Svengoolie that showed all those on Saturday afternoons. Dracula vs. Billy the Kid  was another one I remember .

 

 Yongary , Varan , Gorgo were some more Giant monsters like Godzilla . Any of those old Toho movies were good .


Don't forget Gamera.

Many model trains and associated building kits gave their lives in the service of Japanese monster mayhem. This past week, Sven showed King Kong Vs. Godzilla. He had King Kong Escapes a few weeks ago.

It was glorious! biggrin

Speaking of Billy the Kid vs. Dracula, have you seen that other vampire western, Curse of the Undead, starring Eric Fleming (first-season trail boss Gil Favor in Rawhide)?

We also have another guy, a local named Fred Hopkins. He's a lawyer by day (a lot of traffic court cases and stuff like that, from what he says). He's also a college professor at a local community college. He teaches a course called Schlock Cinema 101 and does a Friday night hosting gig on Community Colleges TV, Professor Fred's Movie Marvels.

Professor Fred shows a lot of '50's and '60's public domain el cheapos, like the lesser Roger Corman films. Stuff like Wasp Woman, The Giant Leeches, Attack of the Killer Shrews, Bucket of Blood. He also has his own band. They do live gigs, and sing movie-themed tunes that he's written.

Svengoolie's on Me-TV Saturday nights at 10 (part of their Sci-Fi Saturday Night lineup (Batman, Wonder Woman, original Star Trek, Lost in Space, Get Smart). They had Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea until just recently.

Gorgo was cool. He's Brit, which means Tokyo was spared. wink



__________________

"No cell, no car, no credit cards, he's sixty-plus and gray...
Just sitting in his basement, with a Strat game underway."



VP of Operations

Status: Offline
Posts: 16191
Date: Feb 10, 2014
Permalink  
 

NatsFan wrote:

 

The Twilight Zone is far and away my favorite classic TV show, the series revivals in the 1980s and early 2000s were good too. Night Gallery (another product of the genius Rod Serling) is also up there on my list. I also recently discovered another show similar to The Twilight Zone, that was on the air about the same time; One Step Beyond. The show seemed to be a bit more geared towards the supernatural and less towards sci-fi, but the cool thing about it is the stories are based off of true events. I actually picked up a 4 disk set with 50 episodes at Walmart for $5. If you like TLZ you’ll probably enjoy this series too.

As for those “old cheesy horror movies”, as my friends and I used to call them, I love them. They were a staple of my TV viewing during my summers as a teenager. We had a new UHF TV station start up when I was about 10, and during those first five or six years the station was on the air they would show old movies from about 8pm until 4am and there would almost always be a horror or sci-fi flick every night after midnight. I especially got a kick out of the ones that were clearly dubbed into English.

I also have to give a shout out to I Love Lucy. She was a mainstay the summer before I started high school. The basic routine was get up, watch I Love Lucy while munching down Frosted Flakes for breakfast, then down to the park to play ball. Great times!


I've heard of One Step Beyond, but I've never seen it.  There's also Thriller, which was hosted by Boris Karloff.



__________________

"No cell, no car, no credit cards, he's sixty-plus and gray...
Just sitting in his basement, with a Strat game underway."



Manager

Status: Offline
Posts: 9772
Date: Feb 10, 2014
Permalink  
 

On of my favorite westerns was Have Gun, Will Travel with Richard Boone.

Love the Twilght Zone & Outer Limits.



__________________

I wanted to play more SOM so I retired.

 



Season Ticket Holder - Lower Deck

Status: Offline
Posts: 260
Date: Feb 10, 2014
Permalink  
 

seajaw wrote:

I've heard of One Step Beyond, but I've never seen it.  There's also Thriller, which was hosted by Boris Karloff.


 

They still show Thriller is on the ME TV station during their late night time slots. 



__________________


VP of Operations

Status: Offline
Posts: 16191
Date: Feb 10, 2014
Permalink  
 

NatsFan wrote:
seajaw wrote:

I've heard of One Step Beyond, but I've never seen it.  There's also Thriller, which was hosted by Boris Karloff.


 

They still show Thriller is on the ME TV station during their late night time slots. 


Going back to what you were saying earlier, my wife is more of a Night Gallery fan than I am.  My feeling is that the old TZ was much edgier.

We both liked the Twilight Zone revival in the '80s, though the quality varied greatly between episodes.

I was never a big fan of the Outer Limits revival.



__________________

"No cell, no car, no credit cards, he's sixty-plus and gray...
Just sitting in his basement, with a Strat game underway."

1 2 37  >  Last»  | Page of 7  sorted by
 
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.



Create your own FREE Forum
Report Abuse
Powered by ActiveBoard