SOMers - Stratomatic Baseball

Members Login
Username 
 
Password 
    Remember Me  
Post Info TOPIC: Patriotic Moments Associated with Sports
«First  <  1 2 3  >  Last»  | Page of 3  sorted by


VP of Operations

Status: Offline
Posts: 16191
Date: Jul 6, 2015
RE: Patriotic Moments Associated with Sports
Permalink  
 


Quite a stunning final score.

And a hat trick for Carli Lloyd.

Wow.



__________________

"No cell, no car, no credit cards, he's sixty-plus and gray...
Just sitting in his basement, with a Strat game underway."



Luxury Box Season Ticket Holder

Status: Offline
Posts: 784
Date: Jul 6, 2015
Permalink  
 

As the self-appointed president of the Tobin Heath Fan Club, I've been waiting awhile for this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbMJM8caT7E



-- Edited by boomer on Monday 6th of July 2015 12:26:16 PM

__________________


Third Base Coach

Status: Offline
Posts: 6298
Date: Jul 6, 2015
Permalink  
 

Great choice to include yesterday's Women's World Cup Champions!  Well done DD2.  Boomer, how do I join that fan club? 

This is a great list so far, although I am somewhat surprised that there are no sporting events around 9/11 mentioned.



__________________

Baseball ... this field, this game ... It is part of our past.  It reminds us all of what once was good -- and could be again.



Luxury Box Season Ticket Holder

Status: Offline
Posts: 784
Date: Jul 7, 2015
Permalink  
 

Here, where it happened, there is a surprising amount of apathy about what happened on 9/11.  I can turn around right now and see the Freedom Tower, where the World Trade Center towers stood.  I saw the north tower fall that day.  (I had to run not to be engulfed in the debris cloud, so I saw nothing further.)  I saw other things I'd rather not talk about.  I knew people who lost relatives in the attack. 

But if pressed, I would add when George Bush threw out the first pitch at Yankee Stadium after the attack.  (It's a shame the Yankees didn't win the series that year.)   He wore a bullet-proof vest and still threw a strike . . . from the mound, no less. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjGcCI9ByWw

 



__________________


Third Base Coach

Status: Offline
Posts: 6298
Date: Jul 7, 2015
Permalink  
 

boomer wrote:

Here, where it happened, there is a surprising amount of apathy about what happened on 9/11.  I can turn around right now and see the Freedom Tower, where the World Trade Center towers stood.  I saw the north tower fall that day.  (I had to run not to be engulfed in the debris cloud, so I saw nothing further.)  I saw other things I'd rather not talk about.  I knew people who lost relatives in the attack. 

But if pressed, I would add when George Bush threw out the first pitch at Yankee Stadium after the attack.  (It's a shame the Yankees didn't win the series that year.)   He wore a bullet-proof vest and still threw a strike . . . from the mound, no less. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjGcCI9ByWw



Boomer, I would agree with you that the first game back after 9/11 in particular in NYC was especially touching.

I cannot imagine what it must have been like for you on that day.  My brother was one of the rescue workers.  He drove up from Pennsylvania with water and medical supplies.  He has video of the rubble and just the silence in NYC is eerie.  He went through several pairs of boots and sneakers because they would melt on the hot steel beams.

Thank you for sharing your personal story about 9/11 and the first Yankees game is perfect example of what this thread is about.

Related to 9/11, the first Eagles game after that date was against Seattle Seahawks in Seattle.  Andy Reid against his mentor, Mike Holgren.  I remember Reid stood directly across from Holgren as they and the players held the flag as the National Anthem was sung.  It was a stirring moment.  I don't remember who won the game, but I remember the minute before kickoff quite well.  I guess that provides some perspective itself.

 



__________________

Baseball ... this field, this game ... It is part of our past.  It reminds us all of what once was good -- and could be again.



VP of Operations

Status: Offline
Posts: 16191
Date: Jul 7, 2015
Permalink  
 

I remember being at the Mariners game with my son on the night they clinched the division title and brought the flag out on the field.

Very moving.

__________________

"No cell, no car, no credit cards, he's sixty-plus and gray...
Just sitting in his basement, with a Strat game underway."



Luxury Box Season Ticket Holder

Status: Offline
Posts: 784
Date: Jul 9, 2015
Permalink  
 

The parade for the soccer team is here tomorrow. If I can get some decent pics, I'll post a few. I work two blocks away, but that's no guarantee of anything. In my old position, I had a shot a City Hall tickets (which I got for the Giants' Super Bowl event several years back), but not this time around.

__________________


VP of Operations

Status: Offline
Posts: 16191
Date: Jul 9, 2015
Permalink  
 

Looking forward to whatever pics you can post.

Ticker-tape parades through the concrete canyons of New York are always cool.



__________________

"No cell, no car, no credit cards, he's sixty-plus and gray...
Just sitting in his basement, with a Strat game underway."



Luxury Box Season Ticket Holder

Status: Offline
Posts: 784
Date: Jul 10, 2015
Permalink  
 

Might have a couple later. The only thing worse than the execution of the parade was my photography skills.

I'll note that I am rather tired of politicians (regardless of party affiliation) injecting themselves into the middle of a celebratory event that they cannot (and should not) take the slightest bit of credit for. Stand aside guys and let the people see the REAL heroes.

As far as the athletes themselves, I found it amazing how many people in the crowd had no idea who played and/or what their names are. Perhaps there will be as much interest from the sports side as the patriotic side in the 2016 Olympics.



-- Edited by boomer on Friday 10th of July 2015 12:34:46 PM



__________________


Luxury Box Season Ticket Holder

Status: Offline
Posts: 784
Date: Jul 12, 2015
Permalink  
 

https://youtu.be/YcH0vc2AGr4 - In this video, Tobin Heath is on the far left on the opposite side.  I chose the wrong side of the street! cry

http://youtu.be/aOFelFQGHDY - In this video, Carly Lloyd is on the left (with the trophy) and Megan Rapinoe is on her left.



-- Edited by boomer on Sunday 12th of July 2015 12:04:00 PM




__________________


Season Ticket Holder - Lower Deck

Status: Offline
Posts: 260
Date: Jul 13, 2015
Permalink  
 

boomer wrote:


As far as the athletes themselves, I found it amazing how many people in the crowd had no idea who played and/or what their names are. Perhaps there will be as much interest from the sports side as the patriotic side in the 2016 Olympics.



-- Edited by boomer on Friday 10th of July 2015 12:34:46 PM


 Happens all the time with big events like this, everybody's all of a sudden a fan and/or an expert. Same thing happened when the ladies won in '99. I remember going to a USWNT game in 1998 at RFK stadium and there was maybe 2,500 people there. After the team won in 1999 they did an exhibition tour (indoors for some odd reason) and I only managed to get a ticket thanks to a pre-sale through my uncle's company; apparently tickets sold out for the DC game in an hour when released to the general public. The sad truth is, probably in the next week or so these same fans and/or experts will be saying "Carly who?" , "Hope what?".

Sadly, much of the same has happened since the Nats became competitive in the last few years. Lots more people showing up at games now with little or no interest or knowledge in the game or the team, checking facebook or twitter on their phones during the game while taking a break every 15-20 minutes during a 2 and 2 count to climb over everyone who is actually watching/enjoying what's going on on the field to go to the concession stands. Success does have it's drawbacks to loyal fans...



__________________


Luxury Box Season Ticket Holder

Status: Offline
Posts: 784
Date: January 10th
Permalink  
 

NatsFan wrote:
boomer wrote:


As far as the athletes themselves, I found it amazing how many people in the crowd had no idea who played and/or what their names are. Perhaps there will be as much interest from the sports side as the patriotic side in the 2016 Olympics.

 


Happens all the time with big events like this, everybody's all of a sudden a fan and/or an expert. Same thing happened when the ladies won in '99. I remember going to a USWNT game in 1998 at RFK stadium and there was maybe 2,500 people there. After the team won in 1999 they did an exhibition tour (indoors for some odd reason) and I only managed to get a ticket thanks to a pre-sale through my uncle's company; apparently tickets sold out for the DC game in an hour when released to the general public. The sad truth is, probably in the next week or so these same fans and/or experts will be saying "Carly who?" , "Hope what?".

Sadly, much of the same has happened since the Nats became competitive in the last few years. Lots more people showing up at games now with little or no interest or knowledge in the game or the team, checking facebook or twitter on their phones during the game while taking a break every 15-20 minutes during a 2 and 2 count to climb over everyone who is actually watching/enjoying what's going on on the field to go to the concession stands. Success does have it's drawbacks to loyal fans...


Came across this thread, which I had forgotten about, by accident.  It's interesting to look back on something you wrote with current knowledge and experience in hand.  Unfortunately, there wasn't much on the sports side for the women in the Olympics this time around.  They were poorly coached and c0cky and it showed.  Their play was lackadaisical and uninspired, and they failed to make the second round.  Hope Solo (the US goalie) called their final opponents (Sweden) "cowards" for a reason I cannot even begin to comprehend.  In short, they acted as if they were entitled to a medal just for showing up as essentially the same group that won the World Cup.  It doesn't work that way.  You can ask a variety of teams that have met a similar fate over the years (such as the 1990 Oakland A's, the 1980 USSR hockey team and - it pains me to say - the 2015 Ohio State Buckeyes).  The last time I saw a photo of one of the team's now former stars, she was kneeling for the National Anthem at one of her pro games.  My goodness.  I'm not sure what's left for the US women's soccer team at this point.  I doubt I'll be watching when the next World Cup comes around.



-- Edited by boomer on Tuesday 10th of January 2017 01:44:47 PM

__________________


Season Ticket Holder - Lower Deck

Status: Offline
Posts: 260
Date: January 12th
Permalink  
 

boomer wrote:
NatsFan wrote:
boomer wrote:


As far as the athletes themselves, I found it amazing how many people in the crowd had no idea who played and/or what their names are. Perhaps there will be as much interest from the sports side as the patriotic side in the 2016 Olympics.

 


Happens all the time with big events like this, everybody's all of a sudden a fan and/or an expert. Same thing happened when the ladies won in '99. I remember going to a USWNT game in 1998 at RFK stadium and there was maybe 2,500 people there. After the team won in 1999 they did an exhibition tour (indoors for some odd reason) and I only managed to get a ticket thanks to a pre-sale through my uncle's company; apparently tickets sold out for the DC game in an hour when released to the general public. The sad truth is, probably in the next week or so these same fans and/or experts will be saying "Carly who?" , "Hope what?".

Sadly, much of the same has happened since the Nats became competitive in the last few years. Lots more people showing up at games now with little or no interest or knowledge in the game or the team, checking facebook or twitter on their phones during the game while taking a break every 15-20 minutes during a 2 and 2 count to climb over everyone who is actually watching/enjoying what's going on on the field to go to the concession stands. Success does have it's drawbacks to loyal fans...


Came across this thread, which I had forgotten about, by accident.  It's interesting to look back on something you wrote with current knowledge and experience in hand.  Unfortunately, there wasn't much on the sports side for the women in the Olympics this time around.  They were poorly coached and c0cky and it showed.  Their play was lackadaisical and uninspired, and they failed to make the second round.  Hope Solo (the US goalie) called their final opponents (Sweden) "cowards" for a reason I cannot even begin to comprehend.  In short, they acted as if they were entitled to a medal just for showing up as essentially the same group that won the World Cup.  It doesn't work that way.  You can ask a variety of teams that have met a similar fate over the years (such as the 1990 Oakland A's, the 1980 USSR hockey team and - it pains me to say - the 2015 Ohio State Buckeyes).  The last time I saw a photo of one of the team's now former stars, she was kneeling for the National Anthem at one of her pro games.  My goodness.  I'm not sure what's left for the US women's soccer team at this point.  I doubt I'll be watching when the next World Cup comes around.



-- Edited by boomer on Tuesday 10th of January 2017 01:44:47 PM


 To be fair, most of the US Women's Soccer Team are respectable and hard-working athletes. Of course you have a few bad apples spoiling the barrel. Hope Solo is a piece of work, considering her run-ins with the law and the fact she has an ongoing case against her for domestic violence, she was lucky to even be at the Olympics; in fact there were many that said had it been a male athlete in her situation he would have been suspended from representing the US until the case was settled. In some ways I'm glad the US lost the penalty shoot-out with her in goal as now there is no excuse to keep her on the team. Apparently Coach Ellis and some of her other teammates weren't fans either. Either way, Solo's career at the international level is 99.99% done. As for the anthem kneeler, Megan Rapinoe, there's nothing to say but she's just doing it for attention. She's was a great player 5 or 6 years ago, but she was always injury-prone and the injuries in the last couple of years have come more frequently and the recovery time has gotten longer. Considering Coach Ellis and the heads of USA soccer are ticked-off at her anthem behavior, along with her age and injury problems I doubt we'll ever see her in a USA jersey again. Who knows how the US Women's Team will do going forward, I'm sure they'll be one of or the favorite in major tournaments for a long time to come. One thing is for certain, with Solo and Rapinoe out of the picture there will be a lot less drama associated with the team.   



__________________


General Manager

Status: Offline
Posts: 13519
Date: January 12th
Permalink  
 

The best of all time..............(I cried as I posted this)....



-- Edited by nacster on Thursday 12th of January 2017 07:21:31 PM

__________________

"NACSTER'S HISTORICAL REPLAY"

34 REPLAYS IN THE BOOKS!

1876-1883

1896-1900

1906

1916-1917

1921, 1929

1936-1937

1943, 1946

1956-1963

1976

1986

1991, 1996

37,117 regular season games through 34 replays!

 

 



VP of Operations

Status: Offline
Posts: 16191
Date: January 12th
Permalink  
 

Amen!

__________________

"No cell, no car, no credit cards, he's sixty-plus and gray...
Just sitting in his basement, with a Strat game underway."

«First  <  1 2 3  >  Last»  | Page of 3  sorted by
 
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.



Create your own FREE Forum
Report Abuse
Powered by ActiveBoard