SOMers - Stratomatic Baseball

Members Login
Username 
 
Password 
    Remember Me  
Post Info TOPIC: Bucket List Excursion 2016
1 2 37  >  Last»  | Page of 7  sorted by


General Manager

Status: Online
Posts: 13482
Date: Jul 13, 2016
Bucket List Excursion 2016
Permalink  
 


A few years ago, I had set out to complete a Bucket List of touring every Major League ballpark by the time I was 55.  This was in 2009 (I was 48 then), and at the time I had been to many parks that do not exist any longer (Exhibition Stadium/Toronto, Tiger Stadium/Detroit, Municipal Stadium/Cleveland, Three Rivers/Pittsburgh, Riverfront/Cincinnati), as well as my hometown team (Silver Stadium in Rochester) and a stadium still standing that doesn't have a team (Olympic Stadium/Montreal).  Due to many things that have happened over the last few years, this project was put on hold (now it looks like 60 is the new target goal!).  I am re-opening this project this year!

Being an extreme East Coast guy, this was going to be a difficult proposition.  Why?...because my goal was to DRIVE it all.  Not that I don't like to fly, but my other reason for doing this is to be able to see parts of this great country I would never get to see by flying.

Since the "project" (yes, ANOTHER project added to all the ones here at SOMers) is very detailed and time-sensitive, with the planning from city to city, it has to be done in groups.  Obviously driving out to the West Coast will be the toughest (for reference...Rochester, NY is right on Lake Ontario, about halfway between Buffalo and Syracuse, which are about a 90 minute drive in each direction.  This is for you seajaw...I am 2676 miles from Seattle!).  That trip is going to be my last one, and I plan on knocking it out over about a 6-week timeframe...why?...because it will encompass TEN different stadiums (Denver, Seattle, San Fran, Oakland, both in Los Angeles, San Diego, Arizona, Houston, and Texas), circling close to 7000 miles round trip.  And obviously you have to make the trip connecting the cities pretty much in the order I listed above without backtracking.

Since I had been to Rogers Stadium/Skydome in Toronto a few times already, that one was already knocked off (I am 3 hours drive from there).  So I started with Boston (Fenway), Baltimore (Camden Yards), and Chicago (Wrigley), all in a 5-day span.  I planned it all and left within 36 hours (literally, maybe even less then that), so needless to say I did ZERO homework (places to stay, parking for the games, tickets, etc).  I came home with something like $25 left from my budget LOL.  The crummiest part?...the game in Wrigley on a Sunday afternoon got rained out LITERALLY as the National Anthem finished (no exaggeration, the song ended and about 5 seconds later the skies opened up).  So even though I got to the stadium and took it all in (more on that in a minute), I never got a chance to actually see a game there.

Part of this experience is to take in the stadium and the surrounding areas.  People ask me "well what did you see when you went there?".  I say "the ballgame".  Then they say "didn't you do any sightseeing?  Did you see the zoo?  Did you see the..." and I cut them off by saying "the ballpark is MY sightseeing tour, it is MY museum, the game is almost an afterthought".  They think I am part wacko, but part adventurer (they already know what a freak I am about the game LOL).  So I get to the stadium hours before the gates even open (if possible, Milwaukee's stadium is basically in the middle of a parking lot between two major highways).  I see the stores and restaurants, peek into bars (I rarely drink), take everything in that I can.  When the park opens, I walk around the entire thing (as much as I can anyways, I couldn't get to the seats on top of the Green Monster), stop at the historic places in each park (Pesky Pole, Williams Seat, Boog's BBQ, Wrigley Bleachers, etc).

Anyways, the following year (2010) I planned it out MUCH better.  My trip was 5 games in 5 cities in 5 days!!.....with a stop at the Pro Football HOF to boot!!  Cleveland on Monday, Cincinnati on Tuesday, back to Wrigley for a night game this time on Wednesday, Milwaukee for a day game on Thursday (only about 90 minutes between cities so the day game was cool, but I got kinda sunburned LOL), and brand new Target Field in Minnesota on Friday (it had been opened only a couple months).  Trip was a shade over 2400 miles round trip, my budget was $1000 and I came home with $150...why?...MUCH better use of the Internet for planning.  Took a shuttle to Wrigley.  Got fairly cheap tickets to 3 of the games and moved down to better seats after about an inning (yep, I AM "one of those guys").  Checked gas prices (sounds dumb, but gas in Illinois and Chicago in particular was about a dollar a gallon higher then anywhere else.  I am not a cheap guy, but throwing money away drives me insane!)

Since this site had not opened yet, I could not share my experiences with all of you.  Now however I can.

I am still a month away from this trip, but I wanted to start the thread to give you a little insight of my planning before my adventure.  When something gets added, I will post it here.

The 2016 trip is going to be as follows...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tuesday August 9th, San Diego at Pittsburgh (PNC Park, 7:05)

Wednesday August 10th, Cleveland at Washington (Nationals Park, 4:05)

Thursday August 11th, Arizona at New York Mets (Citi Field, 12:10)

Friday August 12th, Colorado at Philadelphia (Citizens Bank Park, 7:05)

Saturday August 13th, Tampa Bay at New York Yankees (Yankee Stadium, 1:05)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now to clarify a couple questions you may have.

You may ask why I don't do the two New York games together.  It is all logistics.  I could have a day off on Thursday (due to MLB scheduling), and do both New York games IN THE SAME DAY!....honestly, how cool would that be???  The Yanks play at 1:05 and the Mets play at home at 7:10, so it could be done!  However, with New York being a zoo, plus the fact I want to be back to work on Sunday morning (and this way only miss two days of work during the week, since Tuesday-Thursday are my days off), and having to go back to get my car, plus the 6-hour drive back home (I am about 330 miles from there), with the game ending at say 10:30, I would be driving home and working with extremely little sleep.  So, I have to back-track a bit, but not much, as the distance between Philly and New York is about 90 miles, and with the Friday night game following a Thursday day game, gives me time to rest and re-energize.

Now next you ask, how am I going to go from a late afternoon game in DC to an early afternoon game in New York, with all the nonsense that comes with the Big Apple.  Not really that hard.  The Tuesday game should end about 7:30.  It is 200 miles (about 3 1/2 hours) from DC to Piscataway, NJ.  Where did that stop come from?  Piscataway is roughly halfway between Philly and New York City, so it is going to be my "home base" for 3 nights (Wed/Thur/Fri).  Planning on arriving in NJ, say midnight, and waking at say 9am to drive the hour to Citi Field is no sweat (remember, gotta get there early to take in the sights).

How far is the trip from home to home?  Because of the back-tracking I have to do, it is about 1500 miles from door to door.  By going to the Saturday afternoon game, which should end at say 4:30, and allowing for the madness that is New York, I should arrive home at roughly 2am, giving me plenty of sleep time for my day of work (I start about 10:30).

What kind of vehicle do I have?  You are all going to think I am nuts at this point.  I drive a little 2003 Honda Civic with 155,000 miles and no air conditioning.  I can hear it now..."ALL THAT DRIVING WITH NO A/C???".  Put it this way...3 years ago I drove my son to Florida, almost 3000 miles, up and back in 4 days, right after the July 4th holiday, never once used the air.  Of course I didn't because it doesn't work and hasn't since I bought the car used, so I am accustomed to it by now.  The nice thing?...it gets 36 MPG.  In fact, the chances of me even having the radio on are very slim (drove to Florida and back without turning it on one time).  I like to be with my thoughts, and I love to take in the scenery, and listening to music or sports radio distracts me.

Now you see what type of planner I am with these things.  I have already calculated driving distance, motels, ticket prices, most tolls, parking costs, and other incidentals.  The budget is $1000.  However, some of that budget will be used prior to the trip itself (tickets for example will be purchased ahead of time, leaving me with a phone app or email voucher; most stadiums don't use Will Call anymore...most games have parking passes you can buy with your tickets...gas is put on a special Valero gas card), so the actual cash on hand will be small; only the hotel costs and other things like tolls and food will be purchased with budgeted cash on the trip itself.

Long post I know.  I just wanted to give you the backstory of all that goes into these trips for me.  Of course the experience itself will be posted here.

Hope you all follow along, and if you have any questions or comments, feel free to add them or ask!!.........Johnny Nac.







-- Edited by nacster on Wednesday 13th of July 2016 12:38:07 PM

__________________

"NACSTER'S HISTORICAL REPLAY"

33 REPLAYS IN THE BOOKS!

1876-1883

1896-1900

1906

1916-1917

1921, 1929

1936-1937

1943, 1946

1956-1963

1976

1986

1991

37,117 regular season games through 34 replays!

 

 



Umpire

Status: Offline
Posts: 9225
Date: Jul 13, 2016
Permalink  
 

Keep up with your trip diary here!

__________________


VP of Operations

Status: Offline
Posts: 16152
Date: Jul 13, 2016
Permalink  
 

And let me know when you get around scheduling Seattle. wink



__________________

"No cell, no car, no credit cards, he's sixty-plus and gray...
Just sitting in his basement, with a Strat game underway."



General Manager

Status: Online
Posts: 13482
Date: Jul 13, 2016
Permalink  
 

seajaw wrote:

And let me know when you get around scheduling Seattle. wink


 Well.....the next trip next year is down to Florida.  MY son spends the summer with his mom near Tampa so I have an "in" as far as a vehicle so I don't have to drive.  I plan on flying into Tampa, seeing a game, driving down to Miami (about 5 hours), drive back to Tampa, then drive to Atlanta to see their new ballpark (opens next year).

Year after that is going to be Detroit, Chicago (Comiskey), St.Louis, Kansas City.

The Western Swing will be after that.  I figure it is going to be 2 or 3 years to save for that one.  I may even have a newer car by then!!

Since so much time has elapsed since my last trips, I may re-incorporate them again at some point.



__________________

"NACSTER'S HISTORICAL REPLAY"

33 REPLAYS IN THE BOOKS!

1876-1883

1896-1900

1906

1916-1917

1921, 1929

1936-1937

1943, 1946

1956-1963

1976

1986

1991

37,117 regular season games through 34 replays!

 

 



VP of Operations

Status: Offline
Posts: 16152
Date: Jul 13, 2016
Permalink  
 

nacster wrote:
seajaw wrote:

And let me know when you get around scheduling Seattle. wink


 Well.....the next trip next year is down to Florida.  MY son spends the summer with his mom near Tampa so I have an "in" as far as a vehicle so I don't have to drive.  I plan on flying into Tampa, seeing a game, driving down to Miami (about 5 hours), drive back to Tampa, then drive to Atlanta to see their new ballpark (opens next year).

Year after that is going to be Detroit, Chicago (Comiskey), St.Louis, Kansas City.

The Western Swing will be after that.  I figure it is going to be 2 or 3 years to save for that one.  I may even have a newer car by then!!

Since so much time has elapsed since my last trips, I may re-incorporate them again at some point.


It might be cool to get Stratfan70 and TerryB involved, too.

We'll make you an honorary SOMersNW member. wink 



__________________

"No cell, no car, no credit cards, he's sixty-plus and gray...
Just sitting in his basement, with a Strat game underway."



General Manager

Status: Online
Posts: 13482
Date: Jul 13, 2016
Permalink  
 

Nitrous Oxide wrote:

Keep up with your trip diary here!


 I plan on it.....simply to show really how much goes into one of these things.

If time wasn't an issue, and I had lots of days in-between, it would be less planned out.  But when you are up against distance versus game-times, you have to plan things like how close you want to stay to the ballparks, where you can get gas (if you use a specific gas credit card like mine through Valero), construction delays, etc.

You also need a little bit of the lay of the land.  Example, which parking lot I wish to park in when I am in Pittsburgh, where it would take me on a walk to the stadium over the Clemente Bridge.



__________________

"NACSTER'S HISTORICAL REPLAY"

33 REPLAYS IN THE BOOKS!

1876-1883

1896-1900

1906

1916-1917

1921, 1929

1936-1937

1943, 1946

1956-1963

1976

1986

1991

37,117 regular season games through 34 replays!

 

 



General Manager

Status: Online
Posts: 13482
Date: Jul 13, 2016
Permalink  
 

seajaw wrote:
nacster wrote:
seajaw wrote:

And let me know when you get around scheduling Seattle. wink


 Well.....the next trip next year is down to Florida.  MY son spends the summer with his mom near Tampa so I have an "in" as far as a vehicle so I don't have to drive.  I plan on flying into Tampa, seeing a game, driving down to Miami (about 5 hours), drive back to Tampa, then drive to Atlanta to see their new ballpark (opens next year).

Year after that is going to be Detroit, Chicago (Comiskey), St.Louis, Kansas City.

The Western Swing will be after that.  I figure it is going to be 2 or 3 years to save for that one.  I may even have a newer car by then!!

Since so much time has elapsed since my last trips, I may re-incorporate them again at some point.


It might be cool to get Stratfan70 and TerryB involved, too.

We'll make you an honorary SOMersNW member. wink 


 Only if you can guarantee me seeing a no-hitter like you all did!!

Actually, I saw something just as rare, statistically speaking.  I saw Felix Pie hit for the cycle in Baltimore on my first trip.  He needed the triple at the end and kinda got lucky...his opposite field drive in the gap short-hopped the wall and got stuck between the bottom of the wall padding and the ground, so instead of the CF'er playing it off the carom, he had to go and pick it up right at the base of the wall, and Pie had some speed so he made it standing up.

MY memory is pretty good!!............start it at the 1:45 mark.............



-- Edited by nacster on Wednesday 13th of July 2016 01:42:11 PM

__________________

"NACSTER'S HISTORICAL REPLAY"

33 REPLAYS IN THE BOOKS!

1876-1883

1896-1900

1906

1916-1917

1921, 1929

1936-1937

1943, 1946

1956-1963

1976

1986

1991

37,117 regular season games through 34 replays!

 

 



VP of Operations

Status: Offline
Posts: 16152
Date: Jul 13, 2016
Permalink  
 

nacster wrote:
seajaw wrote:
nacster wrote:
seajaw wrote:

And let me know when you get around scheduling Seattle. wink


 Well.....the next trip next year is down to Florida.  MY son spends the summer with his mom near Tampa so I have an "in" as far as a vehicle so I don't have to drive.  I plan on flying into Tampa, seeing a game, driving down to Miami (about 5 hours), drive back to Tampa, then drive to Atlanta to see their new ballpark (opens next year).

Year after that is going to be Detroit, Chicago (Comiskey), St.Louis, Kansas City.

The Western Swing will be after that.  I figure it is going to be 2 or 3 years to save for that one.  I may even have a newer car by then!!

Since so much time has elapsed since my last trips, I may re-incorporate them again at some point.


It might be cool to get Stratfan70 and TerryB involved, too.

We'll make you an honorary SOMersNW member. wink 


 Only if you can guarantee me seeing a no-hitter like you all did!!

Actually, I saw something just as rare, statistically speaking.  I saw Felix Pie hit for the cycle in Baltimore on my first trip.  He needed the triple at the end and kinda got lucky...his opposite field drive in the gap short-hopped the wall and got stuck between the bottom of the wall padding and the ground, so instead of the CF'er playing it off the carom, he had to go and pick it up right at the base of the wall, and Pie had some speed so he made it standing up.


Wish I could guarantee it.

I've seen some great games in my life -- most of the '95 stretch run and all of the playoff games against New York and Cleveland, and the night they brought the flag out after clinching the A.L. West title in 2001 are a few -- but there's been a lot of **** in there, too. wink



__________________

"No cell, no car, no credit cards, he's sixty-plus and gray...
Just sitting in his basement, with a Strat game underway."



General Manager

Status: Online
Posts: 13482
Date: Jul 13, 2016
Permalink  
 

seajaw wrote:
nacster wrote:
seajaw wrote:
nacster wrote:
seajaw wrote:

And let me know when you get around scheduling Seattle. wink


 Well.....the next trip next year is down to Florida.  MY son spends the summer with his mom near Tampa so I have an "in" as far as a vehicle so I don't have to drive.  I plan on flying into Tampa, seeing a game, driving down to Miami (about 5 hours), drive back to Tampa, then drive to Atlanta to see their new ballpark (opens next year).

Year after that is going to be Detroit, Chicago (Comiskey), St.Louis, Kansas City.

The Western Swing will be after that.  I figure it is going to be 2 or 3 years to save for that one.  I may even have a newer car by then!!

Since so much time has elapsed since my last trips, I may re-incorporate them again at some point.


It might be cool to get Stratfan70 and TerryB involved, too.

We'll make you an honorary SOMersNW member. wink 


 Only if you can guarantee me seeing a no-hitter like you all did!!

Actually, I saw something just as rare, statistically speaking.  I saw Felix Pie hit for the cycle in Baltimore on my first trip.  He needed the triple at the end and kinda got lucky...his opposite field drive in the gap short-hopped the wall and got stuck between the bottom of the wall padding and the ground, so instead of the CF'er playing it off the carom, he had to go and pick it up right at the base of the wall, and Pie had some speed so he made it standing up.


Wish I could guarantee it.

I've seen some great games in my life -- most of the '95 stretch run and all of the playoff games against New York and Cleveland, and the night they brought the flag out after clinching the A.L. West title in 2001 are a few -- but there's been a lot of **** in there, too. wink


 When my ex-g/f and I went to see a game in Toronto 2 years ago, Marcus Stroman took a no-hitter into the 7th, gave up a clean single with one out, next batter hit into a DP, and the next two relievers pitched one clean inning each, so that one-hitter is the closest I have ever come by a mile to seeing one live.

I have seen Hank Aaron homer (Cincinnati), and Reggie Jackson hit two in a game in old Exhibition Stadium in Toronto.  The 1982 All-Star Game in Montreal I have mentioned.  Was in Detroit in 1984 during their run of 35-5 to start the season (a game versus Oakland in May).  Saw Manny Ramirez hit one in Chicago while he played for the Dodgers.  Of course I have seen Cal Ripken and Eddie Murray while playing here in Rochester.

But I have done something very few people have.  MANY years ago, in the spring, I went to Cooperstown (it isn't that far from me, roughly 3 hours, I have been many times), and the gates to Doubleday Field were left unlocked.  So my wife at the time and I just walked in, and had the whole stadium (what little there is of it LOL) to ourselves with no one around.  Walked into the stands, climbed the railing (which is maybe 3 feet high) and ventured out onto the field, stood on the mound, stood at home plate.......amazing............



__________________

"NACSTER'S HISTORICAL REPLAY"

33 REPLAYS IN THE BOOKS!

1876-1883

1896-1900

1906

1916-1917

1921, 1929

1936-1937

1943, 1946

1956-1963

1976

1986

1991

37,117 regular season games through 34 replays!

 

 



VP of Operations

Status: Offline
Posts: 16152
Date: Jul 13, 2016
Permalink  
 

nacster wrote:
seajaw wrote:
nacster wrote:
seajaw wrote:
nacster wrote:
seajaw wrote:

And let me know when you get around scheduling Seattle. wink


 Well.....the next trip next year is down to Florida.  MY son spends the summer with his mom near Tampa so I have an "in" as far as a vehicle so I don't have to drive.  I plan on flying into Tampa, seeing a game, driving down to Miami (about 5 hours), drive back to Tampa, then drive to Atlanta to see their new ballpark (opens next year).

Year after that is going to be Detroit, Chicago (Comiskey), St.Louis, Kansas City.

The Western Swing will be after that.  I figure it is going to be 2 or 3 years to save for that one.  I may even have a newer car by then!!

Since so much time has elapsed since my last trips, I may re-incorporate them again at some point.


It might be cool to get Stratfan70 and TerryB involved, too.

We'll make you an honorary SOMersNW member. wink 


 Only if you can guarantee me seeing a no-hitter like you all did!!

Actually, I saw something just as rare, statistically speaking.  I saw Felix Pie hit for the cycle in Baltimore on my first trip.  He needed the triple at the end and kinda got lucky...his opposite field drive in the gap short-hopped the wall and got stuck between the bottom of the wall padding and the ground, so instead of the CF'er playing it off the carom, he had to go and pick it up right at the base of the wall, and Pie had some speed so he made it standing up.


Wish I could guarantee it.

I've seen some great games in my life -- most of the '95 stretch run and all of the playoff games against New York and Cleveland, and the night they brought the flag out after clinching the A.L. West title in 2001 are a few -- but there's been a lot of **** in there, too. wink


 When my ex-g/f and I went to see a game in Toronto 2 years ago, Marcus Stroman took a no-hitter into the 7th, gave up a clean single with one out, next batter hit into a DP, and the next two relievers pitched one clean inning each, so that one-hitter is the closest I have ever come by a mile to seeing one live.

I have seen Hank Aaron homer (Cincinnati), and Reggie Jackson hit two in a game in old Exhibition Stadium in Toronto.  The 1982 All-Star Game in Montreal I have mentioned.  Was in Detroit in 1984 during their run of 35-5 to start the season (a game versus Oakland in May).  Saw Manny Ramirez hit one in Chicago while he played for the Dodgers.  Of course I have seen Cal Ripken and Eddie Murray while playing here in Rochester.

But I have done something very few people have.  MANY years ago, in the spring, I went to Cooperstown (it isn't that far from me, roughly 3 hours, I have been many times), and the gates to Doubleday Field were left unlocked.  So my wife at the time and I just walked in, and had the whole stadium (what little there is of it LOL) to ourselves with no one around.  Walked into the stands, climbed the railing (which is maybe 3 feet high) and ventured out onto the field, stood on the mound, stood at home plate.......amazing............


Very nice!  



__________________

"No cell, no car, no credit cards, he's sixty-plus and gray...
Just sitting in his basement, with a Strat game underway."



Luxury Box Season Ticket Holder

Status: Offline
Posts: 700
Date: Jul 13, 2016
Permalink  
 

Very cool trip. Needless to say I am jealous. Always wanted to do the same thing but have had to admit to myself I will never have the time or resources to do so.

Also saw Aaron homer (one of his last) and was at the A's multi-pitcher no-hitter in 75. But never stood on the mound at Cooperstown...that's a tough one to top. Haha.

__________________


General Manager

Status: Online
Posts: 13482
Date: Jul 13, 2016
Permalink  
 

pfunkone wrote:

Very cool trip. Needless to say I am jealous. Always wanted to do the same thing but have had to admit to myself I will never have the time or resources to do so.

Also saw Aaron homer (one of his last) and was at the A's multi-pitcher no-hitter in 75. But never stood on the mound at Cooperstown...that's a tough one to top. Haha.


 I kept looking around for a guard or SOMETHING.....my wife was yelling at me "we are gonna arrested!" LOL.........



__________________

"NACSTER'S HISTORICAL REPLAY"

33 REPLAYS IN THE BOOKS!

1876-1883

1896-1900

1906

1916-1917

1921, 1929

1936-1937

1943, 1946

1956-1963

1976

1986

1991

37,117 regular season games through 34 replays!

 

 



First Base Coach

Status: Offline
Posts: 2655
Date: Jul 14, 2016
Permalink  
 

What a great trip, looking forward to the posts.

This is something I've wanted to do for a few years. Been doing some cursory planning for an East Coast trip (Washington, Baltimore, Philadelphia, New York, and Boston). I've been to Fenway several times (I live in Maine, near Acadia National Park/Bar Harbor - about 4 hours from Boston) over the years, old Yankee Stadium, and Nationals Park (family trip to Washington, DC).

Need to convince my wife this would be a good trip for me to celebrate my 50th birthday in a couple of years. We have children at home, so family trips are the priority. It would be great if they were baseball fans and we could do the father & sons trip to the ballparks, but alas...I'm the lone baseball fan in my family. Thinking maybe a buddy and me could hit the road, although I do like to adventure solo and be with my thoughts. Like Nacster I enjoy arriving early, checking out the neighborhood and ballpark. Many ballparks offer guided tours and I would find those interested (but, they do cost $$) and I would want to drive. Love seeing the country, I usually get off the interstate and take the older highway route system (e.g. U.S. Route 1).

Like I said, just exploring the idea right now.

Safe travels and hope you have a blast.

__________________

"The players are the same age always, but the man in the crowd is older every season."

 



General Manager

Status: Online
Posts: 13482
Date: Jul 14, 2016
Permalink  
 

glewis wrote:

What a great trip, looking forward to the posts.

This is something I've wanted to do for a few years. Been doing some cursory planning for an East Coast trip (Washington, Baltimore, Philadelphia, New York, and Boston). I've been to Fenway several times (I live in Maine, near Acadia National Park/Bar Harbor - about 4 hours from Boston) over the years, old Yankee Stadium, and Nationals Park (family trip to Washington, DC).

Need to convince my wife this would be a good trip for me to celebrate my 50th birthday in a couple of years. We have children at home, so family trips are the priority. It would be great if they were baseball fans and we could do the father & sons trip to the ballparks, but alas...I'm the lone baseball fan in my family. Thinking maybe a buddy and me could hit the road, although I do like to adventure solo and be with my thoughts. Like Nacster I enjoy arriving early, checking out the neighborhood and ballpark. Many ballparks offer guided tours and I would find those interested (but, they do cost $$) and I would want to drive. Love seeing the country, I usually get off the interstate and take the older highway route system (e.g. U.S. Route 1).

Like I said, just exploring the idea right now.

Safe travels and hope you have a blast.


 I am 54...my goal was to do all this by the time I turned 55, but life trials and tribulations took over.  My youngest son spends the summer with his mom so I have the whole school break to do whatever I want.

Now my goal is to do it by the time I am 60, and next year I even get the Senior discount in a lot of places!

Obviously a family excursion gets kind of expensive, but like I said, if you do it alone and you plan it out, it's not a crazy cost trip.  I usually treat myself one night to a nice dinner, otherwise I don't waste money eating lol.  I know that sounds stupid, but the first trip I did I spent WAY too lavishly on food and drinks that WEREN'T at the ballpark ($30 lunches, $50 dinners on multiple days).  I don't drink so spending $12 on a overpriced warm beer thankfully is not an option.



__________________

"NACSTER'S HISTORICAL REPLAY"

33 REPLAYS IN THE BOOKS!

1876-1883

1896-1900

1906

1916-1917

1921, 1929

1936-1937

1943, 1946

1956-1963

1976

1986

1991

37,117 regular season games through 34 replays!

 

 



First Base Coach

Status: Offline
Posts: 2655
Date: Jul 14, 2016
Permalink  
 

nacster wrote:
glewis wrote:

What a great trip, looking forward to the posts.

This is something I've wanted to do for a few years. Been doing some cursory planning for an East Coast trip (Washington, Baltimore, Philadelphia, New York, and Boston). I've been to Fenway several times (I live in Maine, near Acadia National Park/Bar Harbor - about 4 hours from Boston) over the years, old Yankee Stadium, and Nationals Park (family trip to Washington, DC).

Need to convince my wife this would be a good trip for me to celebrate my 50th birthday in a couple of years. We have children at home, so family trips are the priority. It would be great if they were baseball fans and we could do the father & sons trip to the ballparks, but alas...I'm the lone baseball fan in my family. Thinking maybe a buddy and me could hit the road, although I do like to adventure solo and be with my thoughts. Like Nacster I enjoy arriving early, checking out the neighborhood and ballpark. Many ballparks offer guided tours and I would find those interested (but, they do cost $$) and I would want to drive. Love seeing the country, I usually get off the interstate and take the older highway route system (e.g. U.S. Route 1).

Like I said, just exploring the idea right now.

Safe travels and hope you have a blast.


 I am 54...my goal was to do all this by the time I turned 55, but life trials and tribulations took over.  My youngest son spends the summer with his mom so I have the whole school break to do whatever I want.

Now my goal is to do it by the time I am 60, and next year I even get the Senior discount in a lot of places!

Obviously a family excursion gets kind of expensive, but like I said, if you do it alone and you plan it out, it's not a crazy cost trip.  I usually treat myself one night to a nice dinner, otherwise I don't waste money eating lol.  I know that sounds stupid, but the first trip I did I spent WAY too lavishly on food and drinks that WEREN'T at the ballpark ($30 lunches, $50 dinners on multiple days).  I don't drink so spending $12 on a overpriced warm beer thankfully is not an option.


 My family would hate to go on this trip, so it would definitely just be me (or maybe a buddy).  I would do it on the cheap, nothing lavish.  I'm good with stocking a cooler and heading out.  I do enjoy a beer at the ballgame, but I'm a one a day guy, not a big drinker.



__________________

"The players are the same age always, but the man in the crowd is older every season."

 

1 2 37  >  Last»  | Page of 7  sorted by
 
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.



Create your own FREE Forum
Report Abuse
Powered by ActiveBoard