SOMers - Stratomatic Baseball

Members Login
Username 
 
Password 
    Remember Me  
Post Info TOPIC: NFL 1968 Tournament
«First  <  1 2 3 4 5 616  >  Last»  | Page of 16  sorted by


Luxury Box Season Ticket Holder

Status: Offline
Posts: 701
Date: March 17th
NFL 1968 Tournament
Permalink  
 


Just watched a MNF game from 1971 between the Cardinals and Chargers, and of course, punting for St. Louis was Chuck Latourette. At one point he faked a run then punted.

His career was pretty short for such a versatile performer, so I looked him up. He left football to go to medical school and became a radiologist. He was killed by a gun shot wound to the eye about ten years lster; his wife was exonerated in the criminal case, as it was ruled just as likely the gun went off accidentally as the chance that she shot him intentionally. Not sure what happened in the civil trial, but it's pretty tragic ending.

__________________


Luxury Box Season Ticket Holder

Status: Offline
Posts: 778
Date: March 17th
Permalink  
 

All the more reason to be glad these players can live on in the hearts and minds of SOM players.  Though I know it won't last, I'm greatly enjoying the fact that Brian Piccolo is fifth in the league in rushing and averaging 10.3 yard per carry. 



__________________


General Manager

Status: Offline
Posts: 13503
Date: March 18th
Permalink  
 

pfunkone wrote:

Just watched a MNF game from 1971 between the Cardinals and Chargers, and of course, punting for St. Louis was Chuck Latourette. At one point he faked a run then punted.

His career was pretty short for such a versatile performer, so I looked him up. He left football to go to medical school and became a radiologist. He was killed by a gun shot wound to the eye about ten years lster; his wife was exonerated in the criminal case, as it was ruled just as likely the gun went off accidentally as the chance that she shot him intentionally. Not sure what happened in the civil trial, but it's pretty tragic ending.


 Amazing what happens to some of these guys..........



__________________

"NACSTER'S HISTORICAL REPLAY"

34 REPLAYS IN THE BOOKS!

1876-1883

1896-1900

1906

1916-1917

1921, 1929

1936-1937

1943, 1946

1956-1963

1976

1986

1991, 1996

37,117 regular season games through 34 replays!

 

 



General Manager

Status: Offline
Posts: 13503
Date: March 18th
Permalink  
 

boomer wrote:

All the more reason to be glad these players can live on in the hearts and minds of SOM players.  Though I know it won't last, I'm greatly enjoying the fact that Brian Piccolo is fifth in the league in rushing and averaging 10.3 yard per carry. 


 '68 was the year Sayers blew his knee out I think.........it was the most action Picciolo had in his short career........



__________________

"NACSTER'S HISTORICAL REPLAY"

34 REPLAYS IN THE BOOKS!

1876-1883

1896-1900

1906

1916-1917

1921, 1929

1936-1937

1943, 1946

1956-1963

1976

1986

1991, 1996

37,117 regular season games through 34 replays!

 

 



Luxury Box Season Ticket Holder

Status: Offline
Posts: 778
Date: March 19th
Permalink  
 

nacster wrote:
boomer wrote:

All the more reason to be glad these players can live on in the hearts and minds of SOM players.  Though I know it won't last, I'm greatly enjoying the fact that Brian Piccolo is fifth in the league in rushing and averaging 10.3 yard per carry. 


 '68 was the year Sayers blew his knee out I think.........it was the most action Picciolo had in his short career........


Must have been week nine against the 49ers.  In my tournament, I treat such injuries (for non-QBs) as merely reducing the overall number of touches instead of making the player miss entire games.  So Sayers plays every game but just doesn't get to run as often as he otherwise would.  He still has the most rushes on the team so far (23 rushes for 94 yards for a 4.1 avg).



__________________


General Manager

Status: Offline
Posts: 13503
Date: March 19th
Permalink  
 

Yes, it was against San Francisco..........(click the link on the right hand side to take you to the NFL Films link, this isn't spam)

 

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-top-ten/09000d5d810a5a0c/Top-Ten-Gutsiest-Performances-Gale-Sayers



-- Edited by nacster on Sunday 19th of March 2017 11:23:20 AM



-- Edited by nacster on Sunday 19th of March 2017 11:24:14 AM

__________________

"NACSTER'S HISTORICAL REPLAY"

34 REPLAYS IN THE BOOKS!

1876-1883

1896-1900

1906

1916-1917

1921, 1929

1936-1937

1943, 1946

1956-1963

1976

1986

1991, 1996

37,117 regular season games through 34 replays!

 

 



Luxury Box Season Ticket Holder

Status: Offline
Posts: 778
Date: March 19th
Permalink  
 

Before the hometown faithful, the Colts regained their form and showed why they dominated the NFL in 1968.  With their starters playing only the first half of the game, the Colts collected 440 yards in total offense to the Falcons 55.  It was hard to find any Atlanta highlights in this one.
 
                            1   2   3   4    F
Atlanta Falcons
(0-3)       0   0   0   0    0
Baltimore Colts (1-2)       7  28  13  7    55
   E.Morrall (BAL) 14/17, 249 yds, 2 TD (first half)
   T.Brown (BAL) 12 rush 59 yds, 3 TD
   J.Mackey (BAL) 7 rec 113 yds
   B.Berry (ATL) 4/8, 28 yds, int, 3 rush 19 yds (first half)
   B.Harris (ATL) 6 rush 26 yds    

After injuring his arm in preseason, Johnny Unitas saw limited playing time in 1968.  In this game, he likely saw his only action in my 1968 tournament.  He was four of nine for 58 yards and one pick.  He hit John Mackey on a 29-yard pass early in the fourth to set up the Colts final score.   

1960-Topps-Johnny-Unitas-1-216x300.jpg

In his 1960 Topps card (above), Johnny U gives us a sense of the steel-eyed expression that, according to Bill Curry in his excellent book Ten Men You Meet in the Huddle, unnerved even the great Merlin Olsen after a sack where Olsen thought he had given Unitas his best shot. 

John Mackey reportedly said that being in the huddle with Unitas was like being in the huddle with God.  Curry said that was an overstatement.  Superman was more like it.

Earl Morrall filled in ably for Unitas in 1968 – he was the MVP that year - until the wheels fell off in Super Bowl III.



-- Edited by boomer on Sunday 19th of March 2017 03:08:04 PM

__________________


Luxury Box Season Ticket Holder

Status: Offline
Posts: 778
Date: March 19th
Permalink  
 

The Minnesota Vikings draw even with the Detroit Lions in the Central Division with a 23-10 win on the road.  The Vikings won using a combination of defense, ball control and big plays.  Joe Kapp connected on only five passes, but he averaged 25.6 yards per completion and tossed two touchdowns.

Next, the Bears host the Steelers at Wrigley.  If the Bears win, all four teams in the Central will be 2-1.  With two wild card slots, three teams from the division could make it to the playoffs.
 
                            1   2   3   4    F
Minnesota Vikings
(2-1)     3   7   3  10   23
Detroit Lions (2-1)         0  10   0   0   10

   B.Brown (MIN) 21 rush 78 yds
   G.Washington (MIN) 2 rec 65 yds
   J.Kapp (MIN) 5/13, 128 yds, 2 TD, int, 3 rush 19 yds
   M.Farr (DET) 9 rush 63 yds
   B.Munson (DET) 13/28, 116 yds, TD



-- Edited by boomer on Monday 20th of March 2017 11:36:40 AM

__________________


Luxury Box Season Ticket Holder

Status: Offline
Posts: 778
Date: March 21st
Permalink  
 

The Bears indeed defeat the Steelers, giving the Central Division four 2-1 teams after week three.  Virgil Carter got the start at quarterback for the Bears and had an excellent game, which included a 38-yard touchdown run in the waning minutes of the first half.  Brian Piccolo had another excellent game as well, including a 38-yard burst of his own to help seal the victory in the fourth quarter. 

Kent Nix and Dick Shiner split the signal-caller duties for the Steelers, but neither had much success against the Bears’ secondary.  The Steelers pulled to within four in the third quarter with two scores in less than one minute – including a 27-yard run by Dick Hoak and a 70-yard pick-six by John Foruria – but that was all they could muster on the day.

                             1   2   3   4    F
Pittsburgh Steelers
(2-1)    0   0  13   0   13
Chicago Bears (2-1)          3  14   0   6   23

   V.Carter (CHI) 8/14, 120 yds, int, 5 rush 57 yds, TD (38 yds)
   B.Piccolo (CHI) 12 rush 75 yds
   D.Gordon (CHI) 2 rec 72 yds
   D.Hoak (PIT) 11 rush 50 yds, TD (27 yds)
   R.Jefferson (PIT) 3 rec 45 yds



__________________


Luxury Box Season Ticket Holder

Status: Offline
Posts: 778
Date: March 22nd
Permalink  
 

Two more week three games.

In interleague action, the Cincinnati Bengals hung tough against the Cleveland Browns for most of the game.  The Bengals were even with the Browns after one quarter and trailed by only eight midway through the third, but the Browns eventually pulled away for the 35-13 win.  Leroy Kelly pounded the Bengals’ front four for 143 yards.  He leads the league in rushing by a long shot.
 
                            1   2   3   4    F
Cincinnati Bengals
(0-1)    0   6   7   0   13
Cleveland Browns (2-1)      0  14   7  14   35

   L.Kelly (CLE) 22 rush 143 yds, TD, 2 rec 20 yds, TD
   B.Nelsen (CLE) 15/27, 232 yds, 3 TD, 2 int
   P.Warfield (CLE) 4 rec 89 yds, 45-yd TD
   P.Robinson (CIN) 15 rush 73 yds
   W.McVea (CIN) 3 rec 72 yds   


In a Capitol Division match-up, the Dallas Cowboys hammered the Philadelphia Eagles 34-3.  The Cowboys rushed for 265 yards with back-ups Dan Reeves and Walt Garrison collecting 75 and 72 yards, respectively.

The Eagles really suck.  They are 0-3, losing by an average of more than 26 points per game.  In real life they were 2-12 in 1968.  I really don’t see how they managed to win twice.
 
                            1   2   3   4    F
Philadelphia Eagles
(0-3)   0   3   0   0    3
Dallas Cowboys (2-1)        3  10  14   7   34

   D.Meredith (DAL) 10/12 173 yds (first half)
   C.Baynham (DAL) 9 rush 73 yds, TD
   W.Garrison (DAL) 4 rush 72 yds, 55-yd TD
   K.Hill (PHI) 8/12, 92 yds, int (first half)
   B.Hawkins (PHI) 3 rec 52 yds



__________________


General Manager

Status: Offline
Posts: 13503
Date: March 22nd
Permalink  
 

boomer wrote:

 

Two more week three games.

In interleague action, the Cincinnati Bengals hung tough against the Cleveland Browns for most of the game.  The Bengals were even with the Browns after one quarter and trailed by only eight midway through the third, but the Browns eventually pulled away for the 35-13 win.  Leroy Kelly pounded the Bengals’ front four for 143 yards.  He leads the league in rushing by a long shot.
 
                            1   2   3   4    F
Cincinnati Bengals
(0-1)    0   6   7   0   13
Cleveland Browns (2-1)      0  14   7  14   35

   L.Kelly (CLE) 22 rush 143 yds, TD, 2 rec 20 yds, TD
   B.Nelsen (CLE) 15/27, 232 yds, 3 TD, 2 int
   P.Warfield (CLE) 4 rec 89 yds, 45-yd TD
   P.Robinson (CIN) 15 rush 73 yds
   W.McVea (CIN) 3 rec 72 yds   


In a Capitol Division match-up, the Dallas Cowboys hammered the Philadelphia Eagles 34-3.  The Cowboys rushed for 265 yards with back-ups Dan Reeves and Walt Garrison collecting 75 and 72 yards, respectively.

The Eagles really suck.  They are 0-3, losing by an average of more than 26 points per game.  In real life they were 2-12 in 1968.  I really don’t see how they managed to win twice.
 
                            1   2   3   4    F
Philadelphia Eagles
(0-3)   0   3   0   0    3
Dallas Cowboys (2-1)        3  10  14   7   34

   D.Meredith (DAL) 10/12 173 yds (first half)
   C.Baynham (DAL) 9 rush 73 yds, TD
   W.Garrison (DAL) 4 rush 72 yds, 55-yd TD
   K.Hill (PHI) 8/12, 92 yds, int (first half)
   B.Hawkins (PHI) 3 rec 52 yds


 The Eagles started 1968 by losing their first 11 games, some however were very close........17-14 to Washington in Week #4, 6-3 to Pittsburgh in Week #7, 16-10 to Washington in Week #9, and 7-6 to the Giants in Week #10.

They broke through in Week #12 beating Detroit 12-0, then followed that up by beating the Saints 29-17 before losing their finale.

RB Tom Woodeshick had a pretty solid year on offense, but by looking at the stats, their defense was pretty bad, and their offensive passing attack was not good either (29 interceptions by their QB's led the league).

 



__________________

"NACSTER'S HISTORICAL REPLAY"

34 REPLAYS IN THE BOOKS!

1876-1883

1896-1900

1906

1916-1917

1921, 1929

1936-1937

1943, 1946

1956-1963

1976

1986

1991, 1996

37,117 regular season games through 34 replays!

 

 



Luxury Box Season Ticket Holder

Status: Offline
Posts: 778
Date: March 23rd
Permalink  
 

nacster wrote:
boomer wrote:

[deleted to save space]


The Eagles started 1968 by losing their first 11 games, some however were very close........17-14 to Washington in Week #4, 6-3 to Pittsburgh in Week #7, 16-10 to Washington in Week #9, and 7-6 to the Giants in Week #10.

They broke through in Week #12 beating Detroit 12-0, then followed that up by beating the Saints 29-17 before losing their finale.

RB Tom Woodeshick had a pretty solid year on offense, but by looking at the stats, their defense was pretty bad, and their offensive passing attack was not good either (29 interceptions by their QB's led the league).
 


A lot would have to come together for the Eagles to beat any NFL team in my tournament.  They might be able to beat their only AFL opponent (the Boston Patriots), but I’m beginning to have my doubts.

Norm Snead has thrown seven interceptions in 2-1/2 games.  His back-ups (King Hill and John Huarte) have thrown three.  Snead has completed about 50% of his passes, which isn’t bad for 1968, but the picks have been a persistent drive-killer.  Tom Woodeshick is leading the team in rushing attempts and receptions, but he’s averaging only 1.4 yards per carry.  And, as you mention, the Eagles’ defense is atrocious.  In the second half, the Cowboys ran at will against a defense that knew exactly was coming but couldn’t stop it.

The Eagles play the Giants next week.  I seriously doubt the final score will be anything close to 7-6.  If the Giants beat the Skins this week - the game I'm looking forward to the most and saving for last - I'm confident you're looking at a 4-0 Giants start.  But don't buy your playoffs tickets yet.  Both Washington and Dallas have enough in their respective tool boxes to eventually bury New York.



__________________


Third Base Coach

Status: Offline
Posts: 6297
Date: March 23rd
Permalink  
 

Norm Snead was not as bad as his numbers make him look. A lot of those picks were second half desperation throws.

These Eagles teams were terrible, both offensively and defensively, but I have an affinity for them. 1968 was a little before I started to follow them, but by the early 70s my bad Sunday habit was formed.



__________________

Baseball ... this field, this game ... It is part of our past.  It reminds us all of what once was good -- and could be again.



Luxury Box Season Ticket Holder

Status: Offline
Posts: 778
Date: March 23rd
Permalink  
 

Tall Tactician wrote:

Norm Snead was not as bad as his numbers make him look. A lot of those picks were second half desperation throws.


That sounds reasonable and something SOM could have taken into account, I suppose.  There might be similar issues in baseball.  For example, on a team that isn't very good, how many more steals does such a team get because they are behind a lot and don't draw as many throws?



__________________


Luxury Box Season Ticket Holder

Status: Offline
Posts: 778
Date: March 24th
Permalink  
 

The 2-0 Rams lead the 1-1 49ers at halftime 7-0.  For two teams vying for first place in the Coastal Division, they sure are playing a sloppy game.  Must be raining heavily.



__________________
«First  <  1 2 3 4 5 616  >  Last»  | Page of 16  sorted by
 
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.



Create your own FREE Forum
Report Abuse
Powered by ActiveBoard