SOMers - Stratomatic Baseball

Members Login
Username 
 
Password 
    Remember Me  
Post Info TOPIC: * RATED PITCHER RULE , HOW DO YOU PLAY IT?!!??
Page 1 of 1  sorted by


VIP Season Ticket Holder

Status: Offline
Posts: 300
Date: April 6th
* RATED PITCHER RULE , HOW DO YOU PLAY IT?!!??
Permalink  
 


I always questioned the * rated pitcher rule. Does a starter need to rest 3 "games" as listed in the official Strato rules OR 3 days? If you're playing a World Series where there is a travel day after game 2, doesn't that day count as a day of rest for the starting pitchers???!!!?? :) Comment with your "SLANT" on this rule that's been a "foible" for as long as I've been rolling!!

 



__________________

Always ready to roll a few games! Get your cards ready, pick a team, we can play "face to face" on the Strat.net Forum site using it's dice roller while voice chatting using Skype, Aol Chat or Yahoo Chat!  :)

 



VP of Operations

Status: Offline
Posts: 16191
Date: April 6th
Permalink  
 

I always go by days, since I format my seasons with travel days.

Something else to consider is that, just because a guy does not have an asterisk, it doesn't mean he never pitched on three days rest.  Some guys did it off and on, and some guys may have been three-days-rest types, who missed some time due to injury during the season.

If I had an asterisked starter toss the third game of a four-game series, then had the next day (game four in the series) and a couple of travel days, I might open the next series with him.

If in doubt, check baseref.  On Sept. 6, 1950, Don Newcombe started both ends of a twinbill against Philly.  The Dodgers were 7.5 games behind the Phils going in.  They had lost three in a row, and seven of their last 10 games.

Newk tossed a shutout in the first game, then completed seven innings in the nightcap, trailing, 2-0, when he left.  The Dodgers picked up three runs in the ninth and won, 3-2.

If conditions are the same when I get to that point of my season, he will do the same.

More than anything, I'd say it depends on what era you are playing.  Today, with few days off, a "day" is almost the same as a "game."  I've been playing most of my seasons in an era when it might take two days to get from Chicago to New York, or from Boston to St. Louis.

I also use the same logic for injuries.  Two days riding the rails is the same as two days out of the lineup.  If you're not playing, you're not playing.



__________________

"No cell, no car, no credit cards, he's sixty-plus and gray...
Just sitting in his basement, with a Strat game underway."



Umpire

Status: Offline
Posts: 9235
Date: April 6th
Permalink  
 

RICH D wrote:

I always questioned the * rated pitcher rule. Does a starter need to rest 3 "games" as listed in the official Strato rules OR 3 days? If you're playing a World Series where there is a travel day after game 2, doesn't that day count as a day of rest for the starting pitchers???!!!?? :) Comment with your "SLANT" on this rule that's been a "foible" for as long as I've been rolling!!

 


All roster sheets state "games"

The SADV pitcher rest chart lists "days"

The simple answer is playing basic or advanced use "games". If playing SADV use "days"



__________________


Manager

Status: Offline
Posts: 9772
Date: April 6th
Permalink  
 

Since I use the actual schedule in my replays I go by days for resting pitchers.

__________________

I wanted to play more SOM so I retired.

 



VIP Season Ticket Holder

Status: Offline
Posts: 300
Date: April 6th
Permalink  
 

The basic, advanced, super advanced rule levels have NOTHING to do with the wording.

I use * raters on 3 days rest!

Bob Gibson, Tom Seaver, Sandy Koufax and the like start games 1, 4 & 7 in a World Series, or any 7 game series with travel days after games 2 & 5.

That's realistic!  biggrin



__________________

Always ready to roll a few games! Get your cards ready, pick a team, we can play "face to face" on the Strat.net Forum site using it's dice roller while voice chatting using Skype, Aol Chat or Yahoo Chat!  :)

 



VP of Operations

Status: Offline
Posts: 16191
Date: April 6th
Permalink  
 

Tough call.

Seaver pitched the overwhelming bulk of his career -- 445 of his 647 starts -- on four days' rest between starts. The Mets were one of the clubs that institutionalized the five-man rotation. He started on three days' rest just 58 times.

Seaver never made more than 37 starts in a season, while Koufax topped 40 three times in his last four years. Koufax made a little over half his starts -- 167 out of 314 -- on three days' rest, and 69 starts on four days rest. Sandy also made 26 starts on just two days' rest.

Gibson's career high in starts was 36.

I do agree with you about high-stakes scenarios, like the World Series.

What I'm not sure of is whether the days of rest stats at baseref factor in days between starts, or include all appearances. Some of those starts on short rest might be coming off a relief stint, which would more likely be the case for Koufax' earlier seasons.

Seaver, however, pitched just nine times in relief in his entire career.

__________________

"No cell, no car, no credit cards, he's sixty-plus and gray...
Just sitting in his basement, with a Strat game underway."



Umpire

Status: Offline
Posts: 9235
Date: April 6th
Permalink  
 

RICH D wrote:

The basic, advanced, super advanced rule levels have NOTHING to do with the wording.


 Wrong. I already showed why.

What someone does on his own gaming table is his own interpretation. 



__________________


VIP Season Ticket Holder

Status: Offline
Posts: 300
Date: April 7th
Permalink  
 

"Wrong"?
:)
Hahaha!
What's to be "wrong" about!?!!?
This is just a question of the wording of a rule in a game!
:)



__________________

Always ready to roll a few games! Get your cards ready, pick a team, we can play "face to face" on the Strat.net Forum site using it's dice roller while voice chatting using Skype, Aol Chat or Yahoo Chat!  :)

 



Season Ticket Holder - Upper Deck

Status: Offline
Posts: 157
Date: April 8th
Permalink  
 

seajaw wrote:

I always go by days, since I format my seasons with travel days.

Something else to consider is that, just because a guy does not have an asterisk, it doesn't mean he never pitched on three days rest.  Some guys did it off and on, and some guys may have been three-days-rest types, who missed some time due to injury during the season.

If I had an asterisked starter toss the third game of a four-game series, then had the next day (game four in the series) and a couple of travel days, I might open the next series with him.

If in doubt, check baseref.  On Sept. 6, 1950, Don Newcombe started both ends of a twinbill against Philly.  The Dodgers were 7.5 games behind the Phils going in.  They had lost three in a row, and seven of their last 10 games.

Newk tossed a shutout in the first game, then completed seven innings in the nightcap, trailing, 2-0, when he left.  The Dodgers picked up three runs in the ninth and won, 3-2.

If conditions are the same when I get to that point of my season, he will do the same.

More than anything, I'd say it depends on what era you are playing.  Today, with few days off, a "day" is almost the same as a "game."  I've been playing most of my seasons in an era when it might take two days to get from Chicago to New York, or from Boston to St. Louis.

I also use the same logic for injuries.  Two days riding the rails is the same as two days out of the lineup.  If you're not playing, you're not playing.


 I've never taken the "ride the rails" quotient into consideration...but what a great idea. I'll have to incorporate the extra travel day in terms of pitchers rest when an East Coast team travels to either St. Louis or Chicago...or vice/versa. Good one.



__________________
Page 1 of 1  sorted by
 
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.



Create your own FREE Forum
Report Abuse
Powered by ActiveBoard